"Our mission is to live as a faith community in covenant
with God and with each other,
as stewards of creation,
using natural resources responsibly and
helping others to do the same."
Edgehill United Methodist Green Team
The Edgehill United Methodist Green Team was formed in the winter of 2009 as an outgrowth of a five week Sunday School class series named after the Matthew Sleeth book, “Serve God, Save the Planet”. For one of the classes, the Belmont UMC Green Team gave a presentation on their main focus -- encouraging families to reduce their carbon footprint by 10% within a year. This began a loose partnership between two Green Teams that led to the formation in 2012 of the Interfaith Earth Care Network and the district-wide United Methodist District Creation Care Coalition.
Outreach of the Edgehill UMC Green Team includes:
Immediate goals include:
When the Edgehill Community Garden was moved to Horton Avenue, behind the Edgehill Library in early 2013, it became the Edgehill Community Memorial Garden, in memory of Keith Stevenson and Terrance Murray and all the youth "we have lost."
The Ten Commitments
1. Reduce your carbon footprint by 10% in the next year.
Guidelines are available at our resource table in the atrium Sunday mornings.
There is a Carbon Calculator at the Belmont Green Team site www.belmontgreenteam.org
2.2. Perform 10 hours of volunteer work.
Hands On Nashville email@example.com
Earth Matters www.earthmattersnetworks.com
3. Plant 10 trees or have 10 trees planted in your name in a reforestation project. A $10.00 membership in the Arbor Day Foundation (www.arborday.org
) gives you 10 free trees. Two scholarships available: contact Sally Wingate
There are many ways to get started – from a simple hole in the ground to a ready-made bin.
EarthMatters offers one made from wooden pallets, which they will deliver to you, plus help you decide a location, set it up, and teach you how to use it.
Two scholarships available: contact Sally Wingate
5. Eat 10 dinners a month using only plants – no meat!
6. Change 10 incandescent bulbs over to compact fluorescent bulbs.
7. Read one of the many books on the environment from our resource table, or the library.
8. Talk to 10 people in the next 10 months about the critical importance of “saving our planet.”
9. Cancel unwanted mail-order catalogs and stop receiving junk mail. (go for 10!) Sites like these may help: www.catalogchoice.org,www.41pounds.org, www.ecocycle.org/junkmail
10. Make a list of 10 new ways to reduce/reuse/recycle
Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
"Sight Psalms is the work of photographers who seek to express the divine through images." Often, a nature photograph accompanied by Psalm. Subscribe to receive a daily post by going to: http://www.gbod.org/misc/sight-psalms